A fun gift for kids to encourage them to learn about nature while growing their own gorgeous giant sunflower. Grow and reap what you sow with this vibrant all-in-one grow kit, complete with a tin watering can!
This kit includes
- Peat pot
- Soil pellet
- A bright coloured metal watering can water your plants
- Stickers to decorate your watering can
These giant sunflowers grow up to 2m tall with heads the size of dinner plates.
Watering is made of galvanised steel with zinc coating.
Fun fact: The tallest sunflower in the world is over 9 metres tall!
How To Grow
Growing Instructions (included with kit)
- Hydrate soil pellets in a bowl using warm water. Allow the soil pellets to soak in the water and expand. Continue to add water until the pellets are completely expanded & the soil appears fluffy.
- Once the soil has cooled down transfer most of it into the peat pot, filling the pot to approximately 1.5cm from the brim. Leave a couple of spoonfuls of soil for later use.
- Place your seeds on top of the soil and cover with a very fine layer (5mm) of your leftover soil.
- Place the peat pot in a well-lit position but avoid direct sunlight until the seeds have germinated.
- Once seedlings appear, use your watering can to water your seedlings, and apply a half-strength fertiliser every two weeks.
- Thin out by removing the smallest plants, leaving the strongest 2-3 plants more room to grow in the pot. The thinnings can be transplanted into the garden or other pots.
- Once the seedlings are mature (with approximately 5 leaves) transplant them into their growing spot in the garden, pot-and-all.
- Continue to use your watering can to water your plants while they grow.
- Sunny position
- The soil should not need watering again until seeds have germinated. However, if water is required, use a water spray bottle to moisten the soil. You can tell if the soil is drying out if the colour turns from dark brown to light brown.
- The soil should be kept moist, but not too wet. If you are unsure about the correct moisture level, press the soil gently. If the soil feels moist but no water appears, the level is correct. If water appears on the surface, gently tip the pot to its side, and let any excess water run out.
Botanical Name: Helianthus annuus
Size: 10.5 x 11 x 13cm